Questions You Need to Ask Sellers
By USA Real Estate
When you’re about to put your hard-earned money into a home, you want to know everything you can about that home’s history. While there are common questions to ask about a home’s condition, history, and location, there are some questions buyers often overlook.
Don’t rely on sellers to volunteer this information. In some cases, they may not even know the answers for themselves. Protect your potential investment. These questions can help you get to the bottom of potential pitfalls:
1. Have you ever had asbestos removed from the home? Old heating ducts, ceilings, and even certain types of flooring can contain asbestos. If they’ve had asbestos removed, follow-up with how it was removed. Was it their uncle Joe hacking away at it, or did they have professional help?
2. Has there ever been mold remediation in the home? Mold can be a serious issue. Much like asbestos, find out how it was removed if it’s ever been a problem.
3. Has the home been tested for lead? Homes built before 1978 may be at elevated risk for lead contamination.
4. Were renovations properly permitted and inspected? If there’s been work done on the home, find out if those renovations are legal and up to code
5. Is there now or has there ever been an underground oil tank on premises? Heating oil tanks are common in some areas, even if old heating systems have been upgraded. You want to know if a tank is still underground, and if one has been removed.
6. Is the home in a flood zone? Yes, you can research this yourself, but it can be a litmus test question. Do they know? If they know, do they have flood insurance? Who provided it?
7. Have radon levels been tested in the home recently? Indoor air quality is very important, and radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can contribute to lung cancer.
If a seller or their agent can’t answer these questions, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re hiding something. But asking these questions can save you time, money, or even your life down the line. Due diligence is vital!
Let the real estate team at USA Real Estate in Prescott Valley, Arizona, help advise you on your next home purchase. Contact USA Real Estate today at (928) 775-0400!